ENZYMES [TOPIC GUIDE]
Introduction to enzymes
- Enzymes is a core JC1 topic in H2 BIO A levels. This topic explores what these mostly protein molecules are. In addition, describing their structure and functions as well as how they are affected by the environment. This topic will be recurring in future topics and is a favorite concept for examinations either in the main papers or in practicals.
Curated materials for enzymes
Most common phrasing errors made by students during exams
- Increase in kinetic energy of enzymes/particles results in more collisions per unit time
- Active site (enzymes ONLY) vs binding site for the rest of the proteins
- There is a difference between activation energy and free energy of enzymes
- For proteins that can withstand high temperature, mostly due to disulphide bonds
- Highlight the bonds btw R groups affected due denaturation by high temperature and/or pH
- Denaturation have 2 meanings: For proteins, disruption of the tertiary structure, causing the protein to lose its 3D conformation. For DNA, breaking of hydrogen bonds between complimentary base pairs causing the 2 DNA strands to separate
- When given an enzyme graph, take note of the Y axis. Is it a rate of reaction or concentration of product, even concentration of substrate and adjust answers accordingly
Questions and other matters
- JOIN my classes so that you can have your questions answered. You will also be able to access TYS questions from different JCs in Singapore as well as my comments and recommended answers.
- You can also register for my H2 BIO crash courses to get ready for exams. Here’s the SCHEDULE.
- You may also be interested to know how to boost your performance for A levels.