CLIMATE CHANGE [TOPIC GUIDE]
Introduction to climate change
- This is an extension JC2 topic in H2 BIOLOGY in A levels. This is a new topic examined for the first time in 2017. It covers concepts in global warming including the causes and the various effects.
- The learning outcomes extends upon concepts such as photosynthesis, viruses and other infectious disease transmission, enzymes, as well as diversity and evolution.
A selection of materials for climate change
- OFFICIAL Dengue treatment, just in case some teachers push you to remember some investigational new drug
- Download diagrams (high resolution) – FREE!
- Purchase notes (including phrasing error corrections & review question solutions) for climate change
Most common phrasing errors students commit during exams
- Mosquitoes bite and transmit dengue virus
- All Dengue viruses cause haemorrhagic fevers
- Due to global warming all the plants will shift altitudinally upwards to adapt to a colder climate.
- Habitat ≠ niche
- Biodiversity don’t just refer to genetic variation, it also include species and habitat variation
BYang’s tough questions bank
- Mosquitoes are poikilotherms which are a type of ectotherms. This character makes organisms dependent on the environmental temperatures to drive metabolic processes. Suggest why this can be advantageous with global warming. [2m. Created 221114]
- Brazil is one of the largest producers of agricultural crops such as soy and alongside it, is one of the largest consumers of pesticides, fungicides and herbicides. This results in the need to reformulate these chemicals as soon as biennially. One of the reasons is because of the directional selection that occurs favoring the alleles with a selective advantage. Another reason is due to the rampant deforestation. Suggest how the latter can lead to the frequent need for agricultural chemical reformulation. [2m. Date of creation 220719]
- Some biotech companies are starting to genetically modify trees proposing it as a solution to climate change. One such example is that of the company known as Living Carbon which seeks to increase the grow rate of trees such that they can offset the anthropological carbon dioxide emissions. Suggest what is a potential concern with such an advancement. [1m. Created 220304]
- An ecosystem comprises inter-dependent organisms living and even non-living, one of which surprisingly are viruses. With reference to bacteriophages, suggest a niche that viruses may contribute to and explain why this is important. [3m. Created 210524]
- If you like to have the answer, pls head over to my YouTube channel, subscribe and leave a comment that you want the answers in any of the videos!
Questions and other matters
- JOIN my classes so that you can get answers to your questions. You will also be able to access TYS questions from different JCs in Singapore as well as my comments and answers.
- You can also register for my H2 BIO crash courses to get ready for exams. Here’s the SCHEDULE.
- You may also be interested to know how to boost your performance for A levels.